Blog... forgotten.

Let me just say that I feel absolutely awful for neglecting this blog. A lot has been going on and I've realized that I need to take a step back and get back to the basics. I'm currently in 3 photography workshops, still working full time, picking up sessions on the weekends, etc, etc, etc.

I noticed that I stopped taking photos of Web because I was so busy taking photos of everyone else. This made me so sad, but some very nice fellow photography moms told me that this indeed, was normal at the beginning of a photography career. They all told me to just slow down, and really start to value my time away from my family and friends while I was away, shooting and editing (all the time).

I really re-evaluated myself and my wants. I ended up increasing my prices (so that my traffic would slow down - and it has substantially). I also learned the word, "No." I found out very quickly that people would try and talk me down from my prices and basically walk all over me. I actually very recently just found out that a former client of mine had been coaching others on how to talk me down as she did. I was pissed.... hurt... and ashamed. I know better than this!

The word NO has entered my vocabulary and with great gumption. If someone says, well.... there are other photographers that can get me what I want and I don't have to pay nearly as much for it as I would with you (Yes - people really talk to me like that). You know what I say? Great! I hope you find what you're looking for!

When in all reality, I KNOW they're going to be semi-satisfied with their pictures from a shoot and burner who really has no clue what they're doing. And I'm ok with that. If they're not willing to value my time and talent, that's ok. I only want clients who value that and something happens with these clients... they end up becoming friends of mine. Genuine people and genuine business.

Believe me.... I still am knocked over by the way some people try to get things for nothing. I actually had someone tell me that I was the most expensive photographer in the Huntsville/Houston area. If I could have typed "Bwahahahahahahah!" like I wanted to, I would have. Seriously? Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.... ok. Thank God I dodged THAT bullet! :)

Anyways... back to the point. I found that I wanted to spend more time with my family and more time just hanging out with Web and Trey. Even if it's an afternoon on the couch, I'm totally grateful for that. So, needless to say, I've CUT WAY BACK. And I like it! I'm learning at my own pace through online workshops (although I have a live workshop in October - eek!!!) and I'm even using Web as my model for the assignments! He LOVES the camera! He's such a ham!

I'm learning to BALANCE my life. It's really nice and not as stressful as it used to be. Trey and I actually talked about paring down my shoots to only 3 per month and editing photos only after Web is asleep. It has really worked and I'm much more at ease now. And with that balance comes this blog. I started it because I wanted those who we don't live near, to be included with what's going on in our home and in our lives. I'm so sorry I've neglected you all. Please know that I haven't done it intentionally, but because I got swept up in the "wants" instead of the "needs."

Here's some of the assignments that I took with Web:

1. Dramatic lighting. I love this one because it's exactly what it's supposed to be... DRAMATIC. The side light is amazing and his expression just really makes the photo.



2. Back lighting. This is where the sun is behind Web and casting a very pretty halo effect.



Here some more I've taken...




Comments

Anonymous said…
Welcome back! Great Pics
Unknown said…
They are stunning & so happy to see you posting again!