As exciting 2009 was with Web's arrival, I'd like to throw in the last shovel full of dirt on top of it's grave site! It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. I guess I'm a little bitter because on December 29th of 2009, I had my third back surgery. You read that right.... third. I herniated 2 discs (lumbar 4 - 5 and Lumbar 5 - sacrum 1) during my labor with Web and knew I would need surgery. What I didn't know was how bad it was.
I went into the hospital on Tuesday morning and was ready for surgery. I wasn't nervous at all. Why should I be? I'm a seasoned pro at this! I knew what was going to happen and knew what to expect so my nerves were only there for the little pinch of the IV. I was soon off to La La Land when I was suddenly woken up by the nurses. What!?!? That was it?!?! It felt like I had only been gone for a second. I immediately motioned to my throat to let them know that for some reason, it really hurt. That's when they informed me that they had to put a feeding tube down my nose, into my throat and ending at my stomach. And the worse part... it was still there. I could feel it in the back of my throat. I almost cried right there in recovery.
I soon got to see Trey and my mom and they told me what the Dr told them: When he opened me up, he wasn't expecting what he saw at all. He found jagged calcium built up all around the lower nerve roots of my spine. Instead of my surgery taking 45 minutes, it took 2 hours. He had to drill all of the calcium away from the nerves. That's the reason they had to put the tube in - it took longer than originally thought. The Doc stated that he doesn't see this on 26 year old people, but rather 60 - 80 year old people. GREAT. Would anyone like to donate their perfectly good spine? I'd greatly appreciate it.
So there I laid, in the hospital bed, hearing all of this craptastic news. It sucked. Would you like to know what sucked more? I couldn't get my mind off of that stupid tube. It was worse than the surgery! Oh wait.... no, no... taking the tube out was worse than the surgery. If America runs out of torture ideas for terrorists, I have one: feeding tubes. Just rip it out through their noses while they are completely conscious. It felt like I had been punched in the nose for 2 days after that. Not to mention the raging case of sore throat (oh wait, I just did mention it). Seriously folks... fear the tubes.
You know what you should also fear? Staples. I have an even 20 of them in my back holding my skin together and I am scared to death to have them taken out. I would be pleased as punch to keep them in and just wear them for the rest of my life like an accessory such as bangle bracelets or stud earrings. But no... they have to be plucked out of me like I'm some kind of feathered Thanksgiving turkey. No bueno.
I was released the next day and sent home with a strict order to enjoy my New Year's Eve with a delightful cocktail of Flexeril and Darvocet. Wahoo. I have officially caught up from my sleep deprivation. For the first 3 days I do believe I slept a total of 20 hours each day. IT.WAS.AWESOME. It still is. :)
I must give a HUGE shout out to my husband and mother. They have been taking care of Web and when my mom goes home tomorrow, Trey will be the lone man on Web Island. You see, I can't pick up Web for 6 weeks. 6 weeks. It kills me. Especially since he has learned to reach for me when he wants to be picked up. I hold him as much as I can - but even that is hard to do since I can't jerk to catch him when he decides to canon ball into his toys on the floor. I can feed him, dress him, and do all the other functional things, but I can't carry him or pick him up at all. Trey is going to have to take him to and from daycare for the next 6 weeks and do all the heavy lifting too (and by heavy I mean 21 pounds of Web). I feel guilty - but I know that this surgery will help me be able to lift him a lot safer now. I almost dropped him a few times because of the pain shooting down my leg from my nerve. When I'm totally recovered - that won't happen anymore.
So.... I will be sitting/lying here for the next week and a half blogging all day every day. These meds give me great creativity (haha) that I'm sure you all want to hear about!
Can we talk resolutions for a moment? I'm usually not very into them, but this year (mainly because I have nothing better to do) I have made a little list. I am going to post it publicly for all (those who read my blog at least) to see and keep me accountable!!! Yell at me when I faulter and encourage me when I'm on the fence. I also know that if I post it publicly, I will be more inclined to keep them...
So, here we go:
1. Quit the regular intake of Coca Cola. I love Coke. I'm addicted to Coke. My body and mind is a slave to Coke. The first swig of the day is like the first hit off a crack pipe (no, I don't know for real). But no longer! I would love to only have coke once in a while (and I mean at only special events or outtings, whathaveyou). I really want the only liquid I drink on a regular basis to be water. It's good for me and I'm all about what is good for me.
2. Cook more. Trey and I have been the Dutch and Dutchess of fast food for 2009 and we've hated every bit of it (well.... after the greasy indlugence is over with). We are both vowing to cook at home waaaaaaaay more often. It's better for us and better for our wallets. I also promise to blog about my cooking expeditions.
3. Blog more. Yes. I said it. BLOG BLOG BLOG. I really enjoy it and LOVE reading comments (hint hint) and should just do it more. I have a lot of thoughts people. I think I've been a little nervous to put them down in type because I know who reads my blog. But - I have to be me and blog true. More on that later...
4. Quit procrastinating. I was never one to procrastinate until recently and I really can't stand it. It's just as ugly as back hair and I refuse to entertain it any more. I will be more efficient in 2010 - I promise.
5. Learn about photography and practice it. I've dabbled here and there, but I actually bought a book about it, Understanding Exposure, and am super excited about what I've read so far. :)
All of these resolutions can be done. They're not hard and I will do them. They also can be blogged about on a regular basis. See? I'm keeping up with my Blog Resolution already! :)
I went into the hospital on Tuesday morning and was ready for surgery. I wasn't nervous at all. Why should I be? I'm a seasoned pro at this! I knew what was going to happen and knew what to expect so my nerves were only there for the little pinch of the IV. I was soon off to La La Land when I was suddenly woken up by the nurses. What!?!? That was it?!?! It felt like I had only been gone for a second. I immediately motioned to my throat to let them know that for some reason, it really hurt. That's when they informed me that they had to put a feeding tube down my nose, into my throat and ending at my stomach. And the worse part... it was still there. I could feel it in the back of my throat. I almost cried right there in recovery.
I soon got to see Trey and my mom and they told me what the Dr told them: When he opened me up, he wasn't expecting what he saw at all. He found jagged calcium built up all around the lower nerve roots of my spine. Instead of my surgery taking 45 minutes, it took 2 hours. He had to drill all of the calcium away from the nerves. That's the reason they had to put the tube in - it took longer than originally thought. The Doc stated that he doesn't see this on 26 year old people, but rather 60 - 80 year old people. GREAT. Would anyone like to donate their perfectly good spine? I'd greatly appreciate it.
So there I laid, in the hospital bed, hearing all of this craptastic news. It sucked. Would you like to know what sucked more? I couldn't get my mind off of that stupid tube. It was worse than the surgery! Oh wait.... no, no... taking the tube out was worse than the surgery. If America runs out of torture ideas for terrorists, I have one: feeding tubes. Just rip it out through their noses while they are completely conscious. It felt like I had been punched in the nose for 2 days after that. Not to mention the raging case of sore throat (oh wait, I just did mention it). Seriously folks... fear the tubes.
You know what you should also fear? Staples. I have an even 20 of them in my back holding my skin together and I am scared to death to have them taken out. I would be pleased as punch to keep them in and just wear them for the rest of my life like an accessory such as bangle bracelets or stud earrings. But no... they have to be plucked out of me like I'm some kind of feathered Thanksgiving turkey. No bueno.
I was released the next day and sent home with a strict order to enjoy my New Year's Eve with a delightful cocktail of Flexeril and Darvocet. Wahoo. I have officially caught up from my sleep deprivation. For the first 3 days I do believe I slept a total of 20 hours each day. IT.WAS.AWESOME. It still is. :)
I must give a HUGE shout out to my husband and mother. They have been taking care of Web and when my mom goes home tomorrow, Trey will be the lone man on Web Island. You see, I can't pick up Web for 6 weeks. 6 weeks. It kills me. Especially since he has learned to reach for me when he wants to be picked up. I hold him as much as I can - but even that is hard to do since I can't jerk to catch him when he decides to canon ball into his toys on the floor. I can feed him, dress him, and do all the other functional things, but I can't carry him or pick him up at all. Trey is going to have to take him to and from daycare for the next 6 weeks and do all the heavy lifting too (and by heavy I mean 21 pounds of Web). I feel guilty - but I know that this surgery will help me be able to lift him a lot safer now. I almost dropped him a few times because of the pain shooting down my leg from my nerve. When I'm totally recovered - that won't happen anymore.
So.... I will be sitting/lying here for the next week and a half blogging all day every day. These meds give me great creativity (haha) that I'm sure you all want to hear about!
Can we talk resolutions for a moment? I'm usually not very into them, but this year (mainly because I have nothing better to do) I have made a little list. I am going to post it publicly for all (those who read my blog at least) to see and keep me accountable!!! Yell at me when I faulter and encourage me when I'm on the fence. I also know that if I post it publicly, I will be more inclined to keep them...
So, here we go:
1. Quit the regular intake of Coca Cola. I love Coke. I'm addicted to Coke. My body and mind is a slave to Coke. The first swig of the day is like the first hit off a crack pipe (no, I don't know for real). But no longer! I would love to only have coke once in a while (and I mean at only special events or outtings, whathaveyou). I really want the only liquid I drink on a regular basis to be water. It's good for me and I'm all about what is good for me.
2. Cook more. Trey and I have been the Dutch and Dutchess of fast food for 2009 and we've hated every bit of it (well.... after the greasy indlugence is over with). We are both vowing to cook at home waaaaaaaay more often. It's better for us and better for our wallets. I also promise to blog about my cooking expeditions.
3. Blog more. Yes. I said it. BLOG BLOG BLOG. I really enjoy it and LOVE reading comments (hint hint) and should just do it more. I have a lot of thoughts people. I think I've been a little nervous to put them down in type because I know who reads my blog. But - I have to be me and blog true. More on that later...
4. Quit procrastinating. I was never one to procrastinate until recently and I really can't stand it. It's just as ugly as back hair and I refuse to entertain it any more. I will be more efficient in 2010 - I promise.
5. Learn about photography and practice it. I've dabbled here and there, but I actually bought a book about it, Understanding Exposure, and am super excited about what I've read so far. :)
All of these resolutions can be done. They're not hard and I will do them. They also can be blogged about on a regular basis. See? I'm keeping up with my Blog Resolution already! :)
Comments