I was reading on a message board today about this philosophy called "1-2-3 method." It's basically what you hear at the grocery store when a child is doing something he's not supposed to, and his parent counts/yells to three so he can stop doing the behavior.
Here's my thinking.... why not teach your child to not do the behavior all together?!?! Why give them 2 MORE CHANCES to continue THEN stop. That's like saying, "Ok little Johnny. You can do that behavior for 2 more times. Then you have to stop. Not because it's wrong, not because it's dangerous, but because I am counting to three." This logic teaches absolutely NOTHING. I cringe when I hear this from parents. I've never heard a parent stop at the number 1. The kid knows that he has a whole other number to continue the behavior, so he does it.
Here's my thinking.... why not teach your child to not do the behavior all together?!?! Why give them 2 MORE CHANCES to continue THEN stop. That's like saying, "Ok little Johnny. You can do that behavior for 2 more times. Then you have to stop. Not because it's wrong, not because it's dangerous, but because I am counting to three." This logic teaches absolutely NOTHING. I cringe when I hear this from parents. I've never heard a parent stop at the number 1. The kid knows that he has a whole other number to continue the behavior, so he does it.
Comments
Oh, the things I would've said, if my son wasn't there.
Btw, I'm going to add your blog to my RSS feed. :)